Thursday, April 28, 2016

Strawberry Mug Cake

Confession: I have a sweet tooth. Since I was a kid, I've always enjoyed an after dinner treat. It just doesn't feel right to close out the day without ending on a sweet note, especially after a bad or difficult day. I can usually get by with a bit of chocolate or a cookie, but lately...I've been indulging in mug cakes.

I'm not sure who first came up with the idea, but they deserve an award. Mug cakes are a perfect portion for one and are super quick to put together. After about 5 minutes of prep and mixing, and 1 minute of microwave baking, out comes a piping hot delicious cake!

I found these adorable little mugs at Jo-Ann. I thought they might be too small for most mug cake recipes, but they are perfect. It helps to have a mug with a narrower bottom so these are just right.

Spring is in the air and soon local strawberries will be filling the market shelves. I had a bit leftover from some strawberry shortcake I'd made, so I modified a mug cake recipe into this yummy strawberry version and topped with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.

Strawberry Mug Cake - adapted from 5-Minute Mug Cakes by, Jennifer Lee

4 Tbsp - All-Purpose Flour
1/4 Tsp - Baking Powder
1 1/2 Tbsp - Sugar
3 Tbsp - Almond Milk (you can substitute with regular)
1/4 Tbsp - Canola Oil
1 Tbsp - Finley Chopped Strawberry (about 1 berry)

Mix all of the ingredients, except for the strawberry in a mug with a small whisk until combined. Stir in the strawberries. Bake in microwave for 1 minute. If top is still wet, bake in 15 second intervals until top is mostly dry and cake-like.

Don't panic if the cake starts to grow above the rim of the mug - it will shrink back once it starts to cool.

Enjoy!

Do you eat dessert every day? most days? What is your favorite go-to treat?

No comments: