Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Oatmeal on the Go

I am not one of those people who can get away without breakfast in the morning. I typically have cereal and toast with juice, but sometimes I'm running really late. Or, I just feel like choosing something healthier to start my day off right. Ok...who am I kidding? It's because I'm running really late.

I found a picture on Pinterest of someone who was making her own make and take oatmeal in jars, so I gave it a try and can say it's pretty great! A 1/2 cup of oatmeal with add ins fits perfectly in pint sized jar and is just the right amount to keep me going till lunch.

This is my set up station where I put out everything I'll need to make 6-8 jars of oatmeal. I use freeze dried fruit, nuts, oatmeal and coconut all from Trader Joes, I am partial to good chocolate, so I also have my large bag of Ghirardelli chocolate chips at hand. I realize this takes my oatmeal from healthy to...somewhere less than healthy, but it tastes soo good.

I like the following combinations (pictured left to right): 
  1. Raspberries & Chocolate Chips
  2. Blueberries & Vanilla Powder
  3. Bananas, Walnuts, Coconut Chips & Chocolate Chips *my favorite!!!!
  4. Strawberries & Vanilla Powder
  5. Apples, Walnuts & Cinnamon
I add these combos to pint sized jars along with a 1/2 cup of instant / rolled oats and about a Tbsp of raw sugar (less if I'm using chocolate chips).

I top them all with reusable lids and store them in my pantry for "one of those" mornings. When ready to eat, I add 1 Cup of very hot water (preferably boiling) and wait 15 min for the oats to plump up. It's something easy I can grab and either add water too and eat in the car, or wait till I get to work. They are great to grab when going on a trip, or kept handy as a snack before hitting the gym, when I know I'm going to be home late. They are really easy to put together with whatever flavors you like, and taste great.

Besides the vanilla powder, which is pretty expensive and somewhat hard to find locally, the rest of the ingredients are very affordable, especially buying all of the freeze dried fruit from Trader Joes. A little vanilla powder goes a long way, so try just a little, maybe a 1/4 to a 1/2 tsp and see how you like it.

What other combinations do you think would be tasty?


No comments: